Optometrist, Shrewsbury Newmedica
WHO ARE WE?
Newmedica is one of the leading providers of NHS-funded ophthalmology services in England.
We provide services for NHS CCGs, NHS Trusts and Foundation Trusts, and other providers of NHS funded services. We deliver over 125,000 patient interactions annually, including outpatient appointments, diagnostic testing and eye surgery. Our services are delivered through a variety of models including Managed Services and Ophthalmology Joint Venture (OJV) Partnerships.
The optometrist provides the primary clinical review and diagnosis for patients seen in a clinic. They recommend an appropriate course of treatment based on best practice.
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities
• To perform a comprehensive range of diagnostic procedures and clinical assessments, working autonomously and making clinical decisions using own judgement and initiative.
• To analyse and interpret specialist diagnostic test results.
• To identify new or deteriorating conditions and carry out relevant tests and refer to a Consultant or Non-Consultant Doctor, as appropriate.
• To advise patients on the appropriate care for their eye conditions.
• To explain the implications of eye conditions, treatment options, medication and possible side effects to patients, some of which may be distressed or confused.
• To ensure that patient confidentiality is maintained at all times.
• To ensure that evidence based clinical standards of care to patients are achieved.
• To ensure the delivery of agreed quality standards, taking any necessary action to remedy shortcomings in services that contribute to patient care.
• To be responsible for ensuring the safe use of specialist equipment.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATION
• MCOptom specialist optometry degree, or BSc(hons) in Ophthalmic Optics or Optometry or equivalent qualification essential.
• Additional postgraduate specialist or equivalent experience required.
• Current registration with General Optical Council essential.
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
• 2 years or more service experience expected.
• Expertise and experience in the management of glaucoma essential.
• Experience of and commitment to medical audit.
• Capable of seeing 20-22 patients during a clinic day.
Find out more
If you like the sound of this opportunity, get in touch, we would love to tell you more about it. Contact George Coleing on 01566 770 223 or George.firstname.lastname@example.org