Reports to Ophthalmology Director
Location Newmedica Bristol
Position Fulltime (40hrs per week) / part time (minimum of 3 days)
Salary range £53,000 - £65,000 per annum pro rata
Plus, Recruitment Bonus £10,000 on completion of 6 month probation (pro-rata)
Who are Newmedica?
Newmedica is one of the leading providers of NHS-funded ophthalmology services in England.
- Our Purpose is to make a difference
- Our Vision is a society where everyone can get access to free or affordable world class treatment for advanced eye conditions without any unnecessary delay or worry
- Our Mission is to revolutionise the care and treatment for patients facing the prospect of sight loss by creating a new national network of specialist eye clinics that have a seamless link with all optometrists and GPs
We provide services for NHS CCGs, NHS Trusts and Foundation Trusts, and other providers of NHS funded services. We deliver over 125,000 patient interactions annually, including outpatient appointments, diagnostic testing and eye surgery. Our services are delivered through a variety of models including Managed Services and Ophthalmology Joint Venture (OJV) Partnerships.
Newmedica Bristol has been an OJV Partnership since March 2018 offering patients a first-class service within our Litfield House Medical Centre clinic in Clifton, Langford Surgery and also Frome Medical Centre in the following specialities for both outpatients and surgery to both NHS and private patients:
- Medical Retina
- General Ophthalmology
- YAG Laser treatments
Our key objective is to ensure that all of the team regardless of their position, provides the highest quality of patient care and we do this with aplomb. Our patient feedback is humbling and valued which contributes to the teams pride in delivering a patient centred service safely. Our team of optometrists, skilled nurses, ophthalmic technicians, ophthalmic assistants, patient administrators and not least supported by our consultants and managers ensure that we promote a culture of trust, positive relationships both with colleagues and patients. If you have some these traits, we would be delighted to have you join this dynamic team.
This is a fantastic opportunity if you are looking to progress your optometry career or take that next step into ophthalmology. If the role appeals, we would be thrilled to hear from you with the potential of joining our Newmedica team.
What are we offering?
- A salary range of £53,000 - £65,000 per annum pro rata
- £10,000 recruitment bonus on completion of 6 month probation (pro-rata)
- Annual performance bonus on completion of 6 month probation (pro-rata)
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- A company pension scheme
- Annual Health, Dental and Travel Insurance after 1 year of service
- GOC annual fees included
- Free parking
Patient Client Care
- To undertake refractive assessment and ocular examination for both NHS and private adult patients including those with significant visual loss and/or communication difficulties.
- To work in an extended role capacity in the Glaucoma, Cataract Pre-Op/Post Op clinics alongside medical staff.
- To work closely with colleagues in optometry and ophthalmology for the best management of the patient.
- To undertake other clinical and administrative duties as required.
- To appropriately explain, instruct, motivate and manage patients and the carers during examination and treatment.
- To provide advice and support to patients and those clinical and non-clinical parties affected by the diagnosis and management.
- To maintain accurate clinical records.
- To deliver high quality optometry services in line with professional guidelines.
- To develop and maintain quality assurance standards, clinical governance and clinical risk of both the service and wider organisation.
- To take initiative in identifying own professional development needs: maintain an up to date.
- Knowledge of techniques, skills and technology by CPD and attending appropriate training.
- To follow professional, CCG, CQC, and departmental protocols, policies, procedures and ensure their local implementation. To be involved in the development of departmental protocols.
- To respect patient and staff confidentiality at all times.
- To participate in the staff appraisal scheme and personal development plan.
- Prioritise own work, balancing patient related and professional demands.
- To be responsible for a designated area of optometric work.
- To be responsible for care of clinical equipment and to report faults.
- To maintain accurate, comprehensive and up to date documentation and record data according to trust and departmental policy.
Not applicable – this is not a budget-holder post.
- To contribute to the development of professional knowledge and skills of Ophthalmic Technicians and Assistants within the team as an In Service Trainer (IST).
- To undertake clinical mentoring of Ophthalmic Assistants and Ophthalmic Technicians
- The SPOC for all locum Optometrist
- To participate in service audit and research initiatives both locally and nationally
- This role profile is intended to provide a broad outline of the main responsibilities only.
- The post holder will need to be flexible in developing the role with initial and on-going discussions with the designated Ophthalmology Director.
Qualifications and Training
- Professional registration with the General Optical Council (GOC).
- Use of a wide range of optometric skills in clinical practice
- Post qualification experience in hospital optometry
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Basic IT skills
- Evidence of appropriate on going professional development.
- Evidence of ability to work alone and prioritise workload.
- Previous involvement in clinical audits
- Ability to apply specialist knowledge in a variety of healthcare settings
- Evidence of flexibility and dealing with difficult situations
- Ability to work as part of a bigger team colleagues and medical staff
- Well presented, approachable, diplomatic, self-motivated
If you would like a know more about this role, please contact us on email@example.com