Theatre Services Manager
Theatre Services Manager
Optical Express is focused on delivering exceptional patient care, outstanding clinical outcomes and continued investment in our people and technology.
For over 30 years, millions of patients have trusted Optical Express with their eye care. As Europe’s leading private provider of laser eye, premium intraocular lens and cataract surgery, our Surgeons undertake more laser procedures collectively than any other provider. We look after thousands of patients in our clinics every week and it’s a privilege to transform the lives of so many.
The Optical Express team work together, collectively and consistently striving for excellence. We support each other, respect each other and are committed to a culture of care, trust and integrity.
The culture extends to our local communities, through our range of charitable and environmental projects. We focus on doing what is right for our patients, our colleagues, our local communities and our planet.
Working under the management of the Surgery Services Manager – The Theatre Services Manager will provide appropriate clinical and managerial leadership throughout the business nationally. Promoting and maintaining high levels of clinical standards, the post-holder will provide strong leadership and direction to all theatre staff and act as a point of contact for advice and expertise relating to professional issues relevant to theatre practice, education and patient safety.
The Theatre Services Manager will ensure that theatres provide quality planned care for patients by ensuring all theatre staff members deliver high quality patient care. The Theatre Services Manager will be a visible role model, providing clinical support and practical guidance to surgical staff across the business. Responsible for leading others in the knowledge and development of evidence based practice.
The role is responsible for development, motivation and performance of all theatre staff, working alongside the Clinical Services Manager & Clinical Governance Manager plus their respective teams to ensure the achievement of regulator Standards in relation to theatre practice and patient safety. Assisting in the development and creation of robust policies and procedures to govern practice and protect patients and staff.
– Provide strong clinical leadership to all theatre staff.
– Provide advice and support to surgery managers.
– Assist managers in ensuring competencies of staff within their teams.
– As a member of the senior clinical team, act as an advocate for theatre staff with senior
stakeholder within the business.
– Provide direction and guidance to theatre staff and supervise the work of theatre teams to
ensure patient care is safe and effective.
– Take part in recruitment processes including interviews and inductions of theatre staff and
provide support to managers in the development of recruitment skills.
– Actively participate in decision-making processes and business development.
– Lead on development and changes to theatre processes and pathways, ensuring these stay at
the leading edge of practice in the UK.
– As a member of the senior clinical Team, contribute to the development of strategic direction
and participate fully in the development of frameworks and documentation to ensure that all
sites are adhering to best practice.
– Collaborating with the surgery operations department, manage projects relating to the
development of patient pathways and theatre utilisation.
– Undertake continual review of design and implantation of medical documentation and record
– Regularly attend and contribute to Clinical Governance Committee meetings, including
Clinical, Resuscitation, Lead Theatre Practitioner and Anaesthetic Services Committees.
– Undertake in collaboration with Surgical and Clinical Services Theatre Policy development and
amendments on an ongoing basis.
– Contribute to and champion improvements in the care of patients.
– Regularly review the training/educational requirements of theatre staff at all levels within the
business to ensure that the needs of patients can be met.
– Development and maintenance of national initiatives related to education and continuing
– Contribute to the content and design of competency documents/ teaching aids development
pertinent to theatres
– Collaborate with Surgical Services and Surgery Operations to facilitate staff attendance at
internal and external study days, training courses, mandatory training, academic modules and
– In liaison with other senior colleagues, assist with the Appraisal process, supporting the
implementation and achievement of personal development plans, achievement of skills and
clinical competence for staff offering support, guidance, and advice in accessing
education/training as required.
– Explore and develop alternative ways of training, education and development for example elearning,
written training packages, simulation, workbooks, visits, clinical rotations and selfdirected
– Work with senior colleagues to plan, design and develop comprehensive
orientation/induction packs and induction programmes to meet the educational
requirements of all newly appointed staff.
– Provide training and education that is specific to the clinical specialty.
– Support the Surgery Services Manager on regulatory matters.
– Co-ordinate the delivery of evidence-based education and training, acting as a resource to
facilitate the development of professional and clinical skills across the business.
– Plan, develop, deliver and evaluate educational training programmes, lectures and study days
to meet the educational requirement. Utilising a variety of teaching and assessment strategies
to meet all learning styles.
– Work clinically alongside staff at all levels to facilitate the achievement of competencies
relevant to their role.
– Demonstrate clinical expertise and maintain competence in clinical skills in order to teach and
– Act as the lead for medical emergencies and resuscitation across the business.
– Promote patient safety in theatre practice.
– Promote evidence based practice and keep up to date with changes in practice and guidance
– Maintain clinical skills in order to work clinically alongside staff to ensure policies and
procedures are implemented effectively.
– Be involved in investigation process relating to incidents and never events.
– Implement and monitor systemic patient safety processes in theatres including surgical safety
What’s in it for you?
- Rewarding salary
- Free or discounted optical products/procedures
- Discounted prescription and non-prescription eye care (including family)
- Career progression
- Cycle to work scheme
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an established organisation where you will have the support to grow and develop within a professional working environment.
Optical Express is an equal opportunities employer