Healthcare Assistant/Surgery Associate
Title: Healthcare Assistant/Surgery Associate
Hours: 40 hours
Salary: £Competitive + bonus
Optical Express is the UK’s only complete eye care provider, and Europe’s leading private provider of laser eye surgery and premium intraocular lens and cataract surgery. Each week Optical Express Surgeons undertake more laser eye surgery and private intraocular lens procedures collectively than any other providers.
For over 30 years, millions of patients have trusted Optical Express with their eye care. Operating clinics across the UK, Ireland, and mainland Europe, Optical Express, supported by an esteemed International Medical Advisory Board, is a thought leader in the global optometry and refractive surgery industry.
Optical Express gives patients their very best results through investing in state of the art technology, employing experienced, highly skilled surgeons and optometrists, continuously analysing clinical outcomes and working with pioneers and innovators from within the industry, to include Johnson & Johnson Vision and Zeiss.
Due to continued growth, a fantastic opportunity has arisen to join Optical Express as a Surgery Associate based in Chelsmford. The role involves travelling to cover other Optical Express surgery clinics.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Following appropriate training, supervised practice and competency achievement assessments, you will be able to undertake all designated roles within the surgery team working across two surgical specialities: laser vision correction department (LVC) and ophthalmic (IOL) theatres. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Pre-operative testing; conducting tests prior to examination and treatment and assisting during the consent appointment process, including providing information to patients prior to their IOL or LVC procedure.
- Patient discharging; instructing the patient pre and post procedure on the care of the eyes, updating medical records, making follow up appointments.
- Laser technician; preparation and calibration of the lasers, understanding data, loading and transferring data, safe running of the lasers.
- Co-ordinating: Controlling patient flow on the day of the consent appointment and surgery appointments to ensure minimum waiting times for patients and managing queries.
- Assisting the surgeon during consent appointments and treatments – acting as scrub assistant (LVC only); taking notes for the surgeon; instilling eye drops.
- Undertaking the role of ‘HCA’ (Healthcare Assistant) in IOL theatre to assist the surgical team and patients during surgery and associated tasks such as decontamination of instruments.
- Actively participating in the end of treatment day activities; updating patient files, filing, compiling ‘end of day’ reports for head office, cleaning the department, stock and lens ordering.
- Reporting untoward incidents – taking an active role in patient safety issues and quality and risk management.
- Previous experience within optical or healthcare
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to absorb and convey highly technical information
- Adaptable with a flexible approach to work
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- A confident and professional individual who has fantastic organisational skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Demonstrate confidentiality, integrity and discretion
What’s in it for you?
- Free or discounted optical products/procedures
- Competitive/ and industry leading salaries
- Career progression / Defined and unparalleled career path and progression opportunities
- Modern working environment with superb technology support
Please apply now by uploading your CV.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a global organisation where you will have the opportunity to grow and develop within a professional working environment.
Optical Express is an equal opportunities employer