Clinic Support Technician - Optometry
A full time Clinical Support Technician is required to join a leading University in Central London. The Optometry and visual Science department offer students excellent academic tuition at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and they have an onsite clinic which serves the general public as well as providing placements and training for final year students.
Your main role will be to support the staff and students at the university in the specialist Optometry clinics and onsite pre-clinical laboratory. You will be expected to play a proactive role in student and staff support and be adaptable and flexible to meet the changing needs of the academic and student environment.
- Interpret optical prescriptions written by Optometrists, Contact Lens Opticians and Ophthalmologists.
- Provide sales and general advice to patients on the lens types and fitting of spectacles in the dispensary including taking frame and facial measurements to ensure correct fit and positioning.
- Provide support in the set up and maintenance and clearing of equipment used in clinics, external courses and laboratory classes within the division in the academic training laboratories at each site
- Order, receive collections for contact lenses and deal with contact lens queries on patient management software Iclarity.
- Maintain contact lens banks in the clinics.
- Regular RGP disinfection
- Work alongside contact lens Academics and deal with student queries during contact lens clinics.
- Maintenance and updating contact lens products and prices on Iclarity
- Responsible for ordering stocks of consumables and when they need replenishing in a timely manner and maintaining and monitoring stock
- Provision of training and practical supervision on the use of the clinic equipment and advice on technique and use of specialist apparatus
- Operational management of all clinics; including general upkeep and tidiness, arranging the servicing of equipment and removal of clinical waste
- Ensuring that the appropriate equipment is installed in the laboratory to meet teaching and project requirements
- Overseeing the maintenance of specialised equipment including evaluating malfunctioning equipment, identifying cost effective repairs or replacement options and sourcing supplies/ replacement components as required
- Building and maintaining relationships with contact lens managers and suppliers to get the most competitive pricing for our students for their teaching experiences and patients.
- Maintaining and upholding risk assessments for the clinics
- Being the DSLO for the clinic (Deputy Safety Liaison Officer)
- Maintain register of Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
- Must have previous Optical experience
- Exceptional knowledge of Contact Lenses
- Ideally a qualified Contact Lens Optician or Dispensing Optician
- Non-qualified candidates with extensive Contact Lens, Training and Management experience will also be considered
- Experience of dealing with optical suppliers would be advantageous
- Experience of being responsible for Health and Safety matters in a lab or clinic environment is desirable
- Able to demonstrate experience in multi-tasking whilst working in a supportive role. This may have been gained in an optical or clinical work environment
- Excellent technical skills and attention to detail
- Competent in the use of IT systems including Microsoft Office packages, in particular the management of on-line diaries and the manipulation of database information
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to plan, prioritise and manage own workload.
- Able to demonstrate commitment to a high standard of customer service
- Proven team working skills
- Have an understanding of NHS and GOC guideline competencies
Salary and Benefits
- Basic salary between £28,452 - £34,956
- Annual leave is 26 days, plus 8 statutory and 3 additional days during the Christmas period
- Option to join the London Pension Fund
This is fantastic opportunity to work in a clinically focused academic setting, working alongside some of the very best healthcare professionals.
To apply for this role please send a copy of your CV or call 0114 238 1726 for more information.
More searches like this
- Dispensing Optician Academic £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Contact Lens Academic £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Optical Management Academic £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Administrative Academic £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Lecturer/Trainer Academic £30,000 - £39,999 jobs in London (Central)